Saturday, December 29, 2007

Random thoughts ...

I hate this time of year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I really do. My birthday is Monday and the weather always sucks. Usually, we can't even drive anywhere within 75 miles to go do anything fun and get outta this snow-encrusted, bleak landscape.

I also hate my birthday being on a holiday. I'm not looking for sympathy - just understanding. Everyone is always saying, "Your birthday is on New Year's? That is SO awesome."

Well, it's not. Every place is crowded, people already have expectations about what we'll do ... and I decided this year we are NOT having a party. Because I'm NOT cleaning up the house so people can bring extra people and spill stuff on the floor and not bring food or drinks or even a birthday card. Not that that's the sole purpose of having a party, but it IS my birthday.



I hate used car lots and salesmen.

We finally decided we need to upgrade the shaggin' wagon. It's a Ford and it's getting close to 100,000 miles, so it's going to self-destruct soon. I can almost hear it ticking in the garage.

Unfortunately, shopping for new cars isn't as happy as shopping for a new... well, anything. We had a very bad experience at a dealership here in town. One minute, I was test-driving a 2007 H0nda CRV, and the next minute, the smarmy finance guy was trying to get us to sign a contract for the car. They never told us how much the monthly payments would be if we financed through them, they never even told us an interest rate.




The salesman was so shady that he actually sent me an email while we were in the finance guy's office congratulating us on buying the car, when we had NEVER (in the three hours we were there) said we were buying the car. And we didn't ever sign a contract. Then there was a second email apologizing for the "misunderstanding" and saying he hoped we didn't think he was pushy. Riiiight.


I finally had to say, "I think there's been a miscommunication. We are NOT buying a car today." They acted like we had wasted their time. Whatever. I didn't say we wouldn't be back - but now I feel so violated that I don't think I will give those jerks my money.


As my mom said, that tactic must work on some people or they wouldn't try to railroad us into buying the car.

Yeah, well I'm not "some people."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the shaggin' wagon is getting the boot. Too bad you ran into a shady salesman. Seriously, they are SO rare. Argh!
Happy Day-Before-Your-Birthday! Hope you've found something at least remotely entertaining to do...even if it does involve snow-encrusted bleak landscape.

Erin said...

Update on the used car salesman -
the manager at this place apologized profusely and confirmed that this railroading is an actual sales tactic - called the "box close." Apparently it's a tactic he doesn't approve of at his lot. Anyway, the whole fiasco is over and we bought from a different place in the end.