Saturday, December 15, 2007

The monthly report

Okay, so I made a deal with myself.

I wouldn't post again until I had good news. REALLY good news. No, I'm not pregnant. That would NOT be good news.

I GOT A JOB!!!

I've been working harder than a gnome in a molybdenum mine the last two weeks (what?). But overall this is a good thing, as M@rtha Stew@rt would say.

I'm teaching fifth grade and the opening for the job came up in an unfortunate manner. A friend of mine had the job before. I won't elaborate but you can check out the details here, since it was in the news anyway.

So I came into this classroom and there had been several sub teachers between the first teacher and me. The kids are pretty shell-shocked, although they're the kind of kids who are used to disappointment and abandonment by adults in their lives. For many of them, school is the most stable environment they have and this was a major earthquake in that safe little world.

The last two weeks have been absolutely crazy. I'm very overwhelmed and I realize I will never completely catch up to where I would like to be for the rest of this school year.

But that's okay. Yesterday I didn't have any of the kids ask, "Are you REALLY coming back on Monday?" and that tells me I'm making progress.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

First of all ... a gnome in a molybdenum mine? I've seen some random things here, but two totally random references that work so well? Snaps to you.

Since you're the heir apparent to your "friend," I'll be looking forward to you throwing some of that extra loot my way -- you ARE keeping the embezzlement part of that position, right?

Seriously, congratulations. Can't wait for that dinner we're having.

Anonymous said...

Its about dang time you posted on your blog! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The kids will LOVE you. I am so happy for you.

(I saw the words news and pregnant before I started reading...)