Thursday, September 27, 2007

Newest okay thing

I finally found a movie-rental method that suits me. It's my new friend the red box movie kiosk. Maybe you've heard of him. He usually frequents areas in grocery store fronts and near fast-food restaurants.

It's a lovely little red box contraption that spits out a movie when you swipe a credit card. It's only $1 per night, and you don't have to return them until 7 the next night. You don't even have to return the movie to the same red box you rented it from. You can return it to one of his friends, even if it's across town.

How can you beat $1 a night? I hate some other, unmentionable movie places where you have to rent a new release for three or four nights. What the heck am I going to do with one movie for four nights? I'm not going to memorize it.

There's only one thing about it that I don't like. If all movie rentals came from boxes that spit out only new releases, where are people supposed to get the classics? Is the up-and-coming generation going to even recognize Lawrence of Arabia? What about "Some Like it Hot"? And no one's going to see Maria frolicking in the hills that are alive with the sound of music in a red box.

Ah well, everything has its limitations.

No comments: