Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Goodbye, Sammy...

I don't like posting sad stuff. But this is something I'd like to share with all of you.

http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/content/news/stories/2006/09/20/9_20_1a_ag_Safken_Obit.html

Sam was our next-door neighbor. We only knew him for a year. He found out he had cancer after his back started hurting and he lost 40 pounds.

He graduated from Fruita with my brother. He was only 21. He was the local football star.

He really did approach his battle with cancer like another match or the biggest game of his life. Throughout his treatment, I kept saying, "If anyone can beat this, it's Sam."

He was a genuinely nice guy who would do anything - move the weird neighbors' TV for them, give someone a ride, buy a hamburger for the homeless guy at McDonald's who looked hungry.

And now I don't really know what to say to his family next door. There are tons of cars over there and people were swarming the house yesterday. I guess I'm waiting for all the people to disperse to take over some food. I tell myself that part of it is - I would be overwhelmed at this point and I would want everyone to leave. But the other part is - I don't know what to say or do.

No comments: